Colts & Senior County Cup Finals at Welford Rd 2017


May 2017

Last night we saw the hard work of players, coaches, organisers, families and friends come together for a night of fantastic rugby at the home of our premiership club – Welford Rd, home to the Leicester Tigers.

With over 1500 people on the Crumbie terrace, we watched Lutterworth and Hinckley colts kick off the evening with to the delight of the crowds. With tries from John Kenward and Dan White, Lutterworth dominated the game in the first half. Both tries converted by Sam Read. Hinckley scored their first point with a penalty from Ben Reilly but Lutterworth responded with a try from Ross Burgoine and converted again by Sam Read taking the score to 21-3.

In the second half, Sam Read kicked a penalty along with Christian Mutch scoring another try giving Luterworth a commanding lead of 29-3. Hinckley came back with try from Ben Brogden, converted by Ben Reilly. Lutterworth went on to score the final try of the evening, leaving the winning score at 34-10 making them the winners of the Laurence Fenton Cup. Lutterworth were also the winners of the U18’s merit trophy table. What a formidable season for them. Congratulations.

Hinckley should not go away down hearted. They have reached the final and the memories of playing at Welford Road will be with them for some time. Thanks also to Elliott Coombes for refereeing the match.


The senior match between Melton and Syston kept everyone on their toes right until the final minutes of the game. Referee’d by George Richardson, Melton were in their second final in two years and were keen to uphold their title.

The first points on the board went to Syston from two penalties from Adam Nunnery with the first half seeing some frustrating action from both sides. Eventually, Andy Jones came through to score the first try of the match for Syston, converted by Adam Nunnery. Going into half time, Syston were leading 13-0

After a half time break and team talking, Melton came out determined to show their muster with Simon Peters scoring from scrummages near the try line, with conversions from Matt Cox, the score became closer at 13 – 12.

Syston scored another penalty which pushed Syston a little further ahead to 16-12, but Melton were not giving up just yet. The tension was building on the terrace with another scrum near the tryline. Melton finally pushed the ball over with Sam Badham grounding the ball to leave the final score 16-18.

Congratulations to Melton and a very well fought match with Syston.


But winning was not enough for one player in the Melton squad, Matt Cox proposed to his girlfriend Beth Pick – she said Yes! Matt summoned Beth over to help him celebrate, pulled a ring out of his sock, went down on one knee and proposed. Congratulations to the both of them!


Thanks as ever go to Ian Palfreyman for the photographs.